Friday 1 July 2011

Mill Hill Music festival day 6 - The Wizard of Oz & Shir

Is it day six of the festival already? My how time flies. Today I had to assist with 2 PA systems at 2 locations.

St Vincents School staged a production of the Wizard of Oz. It was a full house, the kids were superb and the audience went wild. Of course I'm biased, because my son played the wizard, but it was a great show with excellent singing, quality acting and some superb dancing. The sets were terrific and the use of the multi media setup with scenes from the original film as well as interactive use of recorded clips in the play was imaganitive and well executed. The event was sold out. For many of the year 6 kids, it is the last school play and at the end they let their hair down. I'd love to see more schools participate in the Festival. It gives the kids a sense that they are not "just doing another play for mums and dads" and gives the wider community a chance to get to know about their local schools. It also gives ex-pupils and parents a chance to revisit somewhere which played a massive role in their lives.


Having finished clearing up, I hot footed it down to Mill Hill East Free Church for the scond half of the show by Shir, who play Klezmer (traditional Jewish) music. The bad are front by two old friends of mine. Ivor Goldberg, who plays guitar and sings is a long time business associate, running the Rock United music course at our studios. Ivor is an absolute diamond, great with the kids, bring out all sorts of hidden musical talents and inspiring the young people to take music seriously as well as have fun. Maurice, who plays clarinet has been a studio customer for years and his sons visit us most weeks for a jam. He's also a really nice guy and a superb musician. He's also a damn fine sound engineer and was our first paying customer when we set up the recording operation many moons ago. As for the band Shir. They were superb. I will post some clips up, but they had fun, the audience lapped it up and as a sound guy, it was great to work with them. They also appreciated playing to the festival audience, which is a markedly different audience to the one they usually attract. Again we had a great turnout. Perhaps the most satisfying thing (especially for the band) was the number of people who bought CD's of the band. This showed that people loved the music.

With three days to go, the festival has now attracted well over 1,000 people to the various events. I was asked tonight if I was starting to feel tired or jaded by it. Nope, I love it. I'd do it every night of my life if I possibly could, that's why it's midnight and I'm writing this blog, rather than getting tucked up in bed.

No comments: