Sunday 16 September 2012

It's the new thing - Anarchy in Friern Library

Isn't Barnet a wonderful place to live? You really couldn't make up half of what goes on here.

Less than a week ago, I was at a surreal meeting. It featured Barnet bloggers, crypto anarchist squatters, Local members of the save Friern Barnet Library Campaign and senior members of Barnet Council. We attended a meeting chaired under the rules of the "occupy" movement. It went rather well, tea and biscuits were served and we were all very civil to one another.

As I sat there, my mind went back to the early days of my political awakening, Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols



I am an anti-Christ
I am an anarchist,
Don't know what I want
But I know how to get it.
I wanna destroy the passer by
'Cos I wanna be anarchy,
Ho dogs body

Anarchy for the UK
It's coming sometime and maybe
I give a wrong time stop a traffic line.
Your future dream is a shopping scheme
Cause I wanna be anarchy,
It's in the city

How many ways to get what you want
I use the best I use the rest
I use the NME.
I use anarchy
'Cause I wanna be anarchy,

It's the only way to be

Is this the MPLA
Or is this the UDA
Or is this the IRA
I thought it was the UK
Or just another country
Another council tenancy.

I wanna be an anarchist
(Oh what a name)
And I wanna be an anarchist
(I get pissed destroy)

 It is rather ironic that Anarchy landed in Friern Barnet. It landed and everyone rather liked it, it has reopened a well loved library and everyone has been very nice. Nothing was destroyed, no one got pissed, the MPLA and at the IRA were not in attendence, but it was in a Council tenancy.

I have been away at a family wedding. Hence the relative lack of blogging. I did however get this message from the crew at the Library. Please help if you can.

The council is putting through an eviction order of the gallant people who have returned our library to us, and are helping us in developing it as a community centre. The first round of this nasty game of council vs Friern Barnet is in court on Tuesday 18th at 10am - @Barnet County Court, St Mary's Court, Regents Pk Rd, N3 1BQ (very near Finchley Central station).
 
Please come if you can, and show your support. We'll be having a meeting on Monday evening at 6pm in the library, so you might like to come to that too, if you can.
This is our community. Let's protect it.


I suspect this is a game that's likely to go into extra time, if not a re-match. I'm sure you'll agree, it's important the fans get behind the home team. 

b/w
Paul & Fiona Brickwood
020 8368 5224  /  07949 054 806

No comments: