Monday 11 April 2022

Congratulations to Fleur Lewis at Barnet Copthall swimming club for becoming 1,500m British Champion

It is always great to feature good news rather than bad in the Barnet Eye blog. Did you know that the country's best swimming club is located at Barnet Copthall? I do because my daughter Maddie was a National Swimming Champion who represented the club for ten years and still holds some of the club records (I'm a proud Dad and those memories I will always treasure). 

However there is a new kid on the block and she's taken a fair few of Maddies club records, which I think is wonderful. Her name is Fleur Lewis and she's not only got the club records, but she's won the British Championship gold medal at 1,500 metres. Given that she's had to train under thr constraints of covid, it is a wonderful achievement.

As that was Maddie's speciality, I know first hand what an acheivement it must have been. All of the mornings up at 4am, all of the shlepping around the country for swimming gala's. The 1,500m is a punishing race and you need to train for it remorselessly.

Out of curiosity I had a little shufti at the club records this morning. I shed a little tear when I saw the 50m Breaststroke record. It is still held by Shannon Powell. Shannon was a very talented swimmer and runner, who tragically passed away doing the Middlesex Cross Country running championships in 2011. The whole club was devastated and the moment when her little sister accepted her swimmer of the year award in her place was the only time I've blubbed in public for as long as I can remember. If any of Shannon's family and friends see this, she will not be forgotten.

I'd like to publicly put on record (once again) my admiration for the staff, vounteers and parents of this wonderful swimming club. It made my day to see that they are still up there and winning gold medals at Nationals and the British Championships. Well done to Fluer! And as to her parents, I know how proud you must feel, it's wonderful, enjoy the moment!

No comments: