Sunday 1 August 2010

We need to do more for young people

What are you truly proud of that you've done this year? Well of all the things I've done, the one I'm proudest of is helping to set up the YMCA/Youth Music Sound Skool project. This provides free music courses for young people not in education or training. We also offer employment opportunities to the graduates from the courses. The courses are ten weeks long and cover the following - DJ'ing, MC'ing, Live Instruments, Music Production and Singing. Please watch this video clip. This is our end of course showcase gig. None of these kids had been in a studio before they started the course. Most had low self esteem, were shy and a bit withdrawn (not that you'd guess it from this). During the course they've gained skills, self esteem and made friends. Some are now looking at getting back into education. Youth Music who sponsored the project were blown away with how much we'd achieved with a tiny amount of funding. I must pay tribute to Simon Gordon of Sound Skool who put the project together, recruited the tutors and kept the show going. We are now looking at funding for year two. I'd like to expand the project to other locations. When I attended the showcase, it moved me so much to see how  the young people had come on. Some people believe that the way to deal with young people with issues is discipline and some people believe the solution is creativity. I believe in the latter and I have seen the promised land. Watch the videoa and tell me what you think?

1 comment:

Broadway Blogger said...

Congrats. Excellent performances by all.

I hope that funding will remain and expand for this.