Press Release - 1st October 2012 - Barnet - The Billion Pound Gamble - World Premier
On Monday 22nd October, at 6pm the first screening of a brand new film about life in the London Borough of Barnet will be screened at the Phoenix Cinema in Finchley.
The film explores how the people of Barnet are coping with changes to
parking, cuts to care budgets and the effect of the councils One Barnet
outsourcing program are making changes to the lives of residents.
The film will feature interviews with residents from all walks of life in Barnet detailing their experiences of life in the 2012. Interviews with Olympic Torchbearers, gold medal winners from the special Olympics, local business people and stories from carers and disabled people are interspersed with some of the landmark sites and local events which have happened in Barnet in 2012.
The film is the follow up to the highly claimed "Tale of Two Barnets" and has been directed by Charles Honderick and produced by Roger Tichborne.
The film has been made in direct response to requests from local people who saw "A Tale of Two Barnets" and wanted to see the stories behind the stories. After the success of the film, many people approached the director and producer and wanted to particpate in a follow up. The production team found that "A Tale of Two Barnets" had only scratched the surface of the story.
This film lifts the lid on the real life stories of the people you never get to see and tells you the stories that the council don't want you to hear. Charles Honderick
said "The response to the film (A Tale of Two Barnets) has been overwhelming. So much has
changed and moved on since January, when we finished filming the film. I
have been inundated with requests to make a follow up. We have also
received several donations from ordinary members of the public to help
with the costs. It reached the point where it would have been impossible
not to make a follow up".
***** Ends *****
Notes to Editors.
1. The world premier for the film will be shown at The Phoenix Cinema on Monday 22nd October. Doors open at 6pm and the film will be shown at 6.30pm. Entrance costs £1.
2. The film has been directed by USA film director Charles Honderick. The film is a follow up to the acclaimed film "A Tale of Two Barnets" which has been screened at The House of Commons, The Edinburgh Festival, The Unision National Conference and the TUC centre at Great Russell St. There have also been over 20 local screenings.
3. The film features a new exclusive interview with award winning film director Ken Loach, talking about life, football and outsourcing.
4. The film website is http://www.billionpoundgamble.co.uk/ . This is being constantly updated with information, details and clips as we move towards the full screening.
5. The website for "A Tale of Two Barnets" is http://ataleoftwobarnets.yolasite.com/ . This has full details of all press coverage and clips from the film including full interviews with Ken Loach, Richard Cornelius (Leader of Barnet Council) and Nick Walkley (CEO of Barnet Council).
6. Please contact Roger Tichborne via the contact link on the film website for more details